The following recipe comes from Marcella Hazan and can be made using cured bacon belly (cut into lardons), bacon or cooked gammon.
225g/8oz lardons, bacon or cooked gammon
4 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons dry white wine
2 large Windshiel organic eggs (or 3 medium)
4 tablespoons of freshly grated Romano cheese ( or other hard cheese)
50g/2oz freshly grated Parmesan cheese
ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
550g/11/4 lbs pasta (spaghetti)
1. Cut the bacon or gammon into 6mm wide strips or chunks
2. Lightly mash garlic, peel and put into small saute pan on med-
3. Put the bacon into pan and cook until just crispy at the edges. Add the wine, let it bubble for 1 – 2 mins and then turn off heat.
4. Break the eggs into the serving bowl in which you'll toss the pasta. Beat them lightly with a fork, then add grated cheeses, pepper and chopped parsley. Mix thoroughly.
5. Add the cooked, drained spaghetti to the bowl and toss rapidly coating the strands well.
6. Briefly reheat the bacon over high heat, add entire contents to the pasta and toss thoroughly again. Serve at once.